And a few I'm not fond of.
So, let's just jump right into this, and these are in no particular order.
1. Two Words- Pumpkin Spice. I don't care if it's pumpkin spice scented candles, pumpkin spice coffee or pumpkin spice muffins- yes, please... to all the things. I'm really heartbroken to have found out this year that Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte has neither pumpkin nor spice in it- just squirts of chemicals that taste like pumpkin and spice. I'm not down with that, so I'll just have to make my own at home this year. Seriously can not wait!
2. HALLOWEEN!!! If you've been following Inklings' facebook page, you'll know that my family is going all out for Halloween this year; we're converting our garage into a mini walk through for the trick-or-treaters. The theme? CarnEvil. Yeah, an evil circus. I'm stoked. The kids are scared. My best friend here is threatening to not even come, she hates evil clowns so much. I started buying items for it last week (yes, in August- I told you I get excited), including a clown that pops up when you walk by it and a two headed Cabbage Patch Kid I'm using in the freak sideshow. Am I going overboard? There's a good chance that yes, I am. Seriously hoping I don't make a kid pee their pants, but then again... Yeah, I'm bad...
3. The Feeling Outside. Even here in hot ass Arizona, some nights get a nice chill to the air. I love hoodie weather, and the fall is the beginning of that.
4. The Smell. Yep, yep- the smell. I LOVE the smell of fall. I mentioned pumpkin spice above, but that's not all of it. There's a smell of wood burning in the air from fireplaces, wood burning stoves and bonfires; the
actual chill in the air has a smell (I swear I'm not crazy); the evergreens really start to stand out as the leaves fall from the seasonal trees; people are starting to cook and bake comfort foods like chili, homemade bread and cookies. Combine all of that together and add in pumpkin spice, and it's like an orgasm for your nose.
5. The Excitement. Fall greets us with Halloween and then Thanksgiving. Then comes winter and Christmas, which I love, too. This entire time of year, through the New Year, just makes me happy. I love decorating for Halloween, cooking Thanksgiving dinner, wrapping presents for Christmas, baking cookies and bread, and cuddling up with a nice cup of hot chocolate (or pumpkin spice coffee) to watch cheesy holiday movies.
And 3 Things I Hate
1. Arizona. I miss a real fall- leaves changing colors to beautiful shades of orange, gold, red and purple; the nip to your nose on Halloween night when you take your kids trick-or-treating. Here in Arizona, yes, a slight chill in the air occurs, but it's nothing like it is back in the southeast. It'll probably still be 85 degrees Halloween night, and I can remember standing outside on Thanksgiving last year in a tank top and jeans. It is hard to get into the holiday spirit when it's hot as balls outside, but dammit, I don't let it ruin my attitude.
|If only internet trolls|
were this adorable...
3. Dolla Dolla Bills Y'all. Hubby okayed a pretty massive budget for the CarnEvil Halloween exhibit, which I'm stoked about, but with that, then Thanksgiving, then The Ginger's birthday, then Christmas, I'm staring to contemplate standing on the street corner to make a few extra bucks this season. I hate worrying about money, and having to cut corners on some things so the money can go toward others at this time of year. I do try and plan ahead- like starting the Halloween shopping in August, so we can start Christmas shopping in October- but it doesn't mean this time of year isn't a little tight for us.
Is there anything I missed about fall- the good or the bad? If so, leave me a comment below, or just let me know your loves (or hates)!
Click banner to head to Amazon!
If you enjoy Inklings, please take a second to just click the banner below. Each click = 1 vote, and you can vote once per 24 hours. I do happy dances when people vote!