Then the phone call came.
Hubby called me on his cell, from work. Hubby never calls me on his cell from work. Hubby never calls me when he's at work; we just text. I was sitting at my friend's house when he called (the first stop on my laundry list- yes, I started off my list with being lazy with a friend- who wouldn't?), so I answered, wondering what in the hell was going on.
He was shouting, and I couldn't understand a word he was saying.
Hubby: Hrmphreusonehahsondan... AN.
Hubby: HRMWIEHVOEHHWNOCE... AN?!?!?!?
Me: What's wrong with your van?
I clicked some noise reducing button on my phone.
Hubby: HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT JAPAN??
Me: Umm... I don't know. I'm sure they have great sushi. Wh.....
And that's when it hit me. My stomach dropped to the floor, and all of the color rushed from my face...
Hubby: Because we just got orders there!!
Hubby was ecstatic. He sounded like a kid at Christmas who just unwrapped the latest video game system.
Me: Are you trolling me?
I knew he wasn't. I'm not sure of the last time Hubby sounded that excited.
Hubby: No, I'm not trolling you.
He read me out the email, word-for-word. He was, indeed, not trolling me, or else his trolling skills had gotten really good.
Hubby: Report no later than October 31st.
Effing Halloween. That's my time of year. Of course we'd get orders when I'm supposed to be decorating our house all scary, coming up with a hellacious costume, and when my store is the busiest. We moved into our current house on Halloween. Of. Effing. Course.
That's when it hit me that we are moving to a foreign country in less than 4 months.
I think I skipped the excited phase that Hubby was experiencing. I went straight to WTFVille.
Japan. The orders that Hubby has been wanting for 15 years. The base that has been on his Dream Sheet since he entered the military. And we got them, with just 4 years left before retirement.
My friend, sitting next to me, figured out what was going on, and threatened to throat chop Hubby when she saw him next. I couldn't blame her: I was in the throat-chopping stage, too. The two of us just had our closest friend move back to the east coast on orders a little over a month ago. Now I would be leaving.
Military life sucks sometimes.
Hubby and I agreed not to tell the kids until he got off work several hours later. So, I had to keep myself contained while I continued on with my laundry list of stuff to do.
Some things fell to the wayside, like writing yesterday's WTF Wednesday post.
Many things were done with me on autopilot, because if I truly started thinking about everything while trying to pick out a decent bag of grapes at the market, I probably would have broken down in hysterics.
Half of me is excited.
|How could you be upset about living here?|
Pic Courtesy of WikiTravel
- We have friends stationed at that base; friends we've had for a decade now, that are some of the closest friends we've ever made with all of this bouncing around the military has us doing. Our kids used to take baths together when they were toddlers, for crying out loud- that's how close we were. Now, 9 years later, we're being brought back together at the end of their military careers, kinda like a Lion King full circle thing. It's crazy. And makes me happy.
- It's freaking Japan. Beautiful culture, beautiful surroundings. And my kids are old enough to remember these years (unlike England, which is where we were stationed with our friends mentioned above before, when they were babies and toddlers), so we can do amazing things as a family and they'll have stories to tell their children.
- COLA. For non-military, it's the Cost of Living Allowance that the military gives you to live on an overseas base; it's based on the exchange rate of the local country, and is given to help off-set the costs of living in a more expensive country. Our COLA amount is awesome. That will definitely help out with Hubby's and my goal of being debt free and saving money before he retires.
And half of me is torn apart.
- Arizona is far from our family in Virginia, but Japan is even further.
- Leaving my friend here sucks big time. We just had our friend leave us, and now I'm leaving. Her kids and The Ginger get along so well. And her and her husband are just like Hubby and I. So it sucks to leave people that we genuinely adore and have things in common with. Hell, she and I extreme coupon together, and we have a ton of fun.
- We can only take 2 pets. We have 3 cats and a dog. Yeah, you do the math. And, we have to start the pet process soon, because there are quarantines involved. Poor fur babies.
- I can't extreme coupon anymore. Like, go to the local grocery store and get $125 worth of groceries for $5. I can coupon at the commissary, yes, but it's not the same, dammit.
- No idea what this means for my business.
- We can't take the car we just bought in November, that we currently make payments on. And we owe too much to sell it.
- I don't speak Japanese. At least when we were stationed in England, I understood the locals.
- Gazillion hour plane ride, and I don't currently have a prescription for valium.
- Foreign country for 4 years, and we have less than 4 months to prepare.
So, if you follow my facebook page, you now know what I was talking about with that elusive status yesterday about our crazy news. Tatted Mom is Japan-bound.
The kids did not take the news well, especially The Girl. She rebelled, stated she wasn't going, and cried- a lot. Hours later, after Hubby had sat down and googled the base and pictures with them, they both seem a little happier, which is good.
As if my life couldn't get anymore chaotic. I'm sure y'all will be eating this up. Take my randomness and crazy life, put it in the middle of a tornado and spit it out again, this time, in a foreign country. Should definitely make for some interesting posts in the future.
I hope y'all are okay with cussing, because I'm sure there will be a ton of it coming. I might even make up some new words to perfectly fit my mood and life.
We'll start now with shitnado. As in, "My life just had a shitnado hit it. So much shit to do in so little time, and there will definitely be some hella clean up involved."
Shitnado. Your new word of the day.
If you enjoy Inklings, please take a second to just click the banner below. Each click = 1 vote, and you can vote once per 24 hours. I do happy dances when people vote!