|Pic courtesy of InfoCentre|
With a list a mile long of errands to run and chores to do and an empty house to actually accomplish the things on that list, I find myself reveling in the quiet. I have 6 hours until my son gets home from school. 6 whole hours. My list may take 3 or 4 hours. What on earth can I possibly do with the remaining time?
9 Activities for a Stay-at-Home Mom While the Kids Are in School
- Sleep. Nap on the couch, in my bed, in the middle of the floor for all I care. No fighting siblings, no video game noises in the background, no pokes to the arm followed by a whispering voice saying, "Mom, I know you are trying to sleep and all, but this is super important. Can I have a pack of fruit snacks?" Dead, bleeding or on fire. Those are my specific instructions for when one of my kids should wake me when I'm attempting to nap. Fruit snacks are not dead, bleeding, or on fire.
- Run around naked. Okay, so I wouldn't run around my house naked. I'm a firm believer that running is only necessary if the Zombie Apocalypse has begun and there are zombies behind you. So, I'd be more inclined to lounge around naked, answer emails naked, maybe even blog naked (this just got awkward for you, didn't it?).
- Eat whatever in the hell I want to. No hiding in the closet to grab a cookie, or heading to the bathroom with a bowl of ice cream just to escape the "Mom, can I just have a little bite, please?" I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want, where ever I want.
- Have a mopped floor that stays clean for more than 2.5 seconds. Mondays are my floor mopping day, but I usually have to touch-up mop by Wednesday. At least for today, I can stare at my freshly mopped floors and know that they won't be violated by little feet for a few hours.
- Pee with the bathroom door open. And no one wanting to get in, or asking you for something.
- Watch non-kid shows or movies on TV. Hmmm. I've really wanted to watch that new thriller, but it has nudity, excessive language, gory violence and intensely frightening scenes. Bring. It. On. Wait... let me pop some popcorn first, because I can eat the entire bowl without having dirty kid fingers grabbing handfuls.
- Take a bath. Not a 5 minute shower, no. A bath. A real bath. A relaxing bath. With bubbles. Maybe light some candles. Play some soft music. Dim the lights. Wait... it sounds like I'm trying to seduce myself. Eh, who am I kidding? I'm a willing party to that, too. The house is empty, for crying out loud.
- Read a book. Normally, reading is reserved as a night-time activity because the kids are in bed and the house is quiet. I could pull out my favorite novel and go to town during the day, with the kids in school.
- Pee with the door open, then read a book while taking a bath, get out, don't get dressed, lay around naked while watching a kid-inappropriate movie or show while eating ice cream or cookies, and then take a nap, all in a clean house. Yep, that's a day in complete bliss right there.