They turned out amazing! From start to finish, the whole process took about 30 minutes, which isn't bad for how awesome they looked and tasted! I don't think we'd change a thing about the recipe, though I do have pointers throughout the directions below for y'all!
With Memorial Day next week and summer just around the corner, these make a perfect addition to any cookout!
Bacon-Wrapped Cheesy Stuffed Peppers On the Grill
- 1 bag of small sweet peppers
- 1 pound of bacon
- 1 container of flavored cream cheese
- 1 bottle of BBQ sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line pans with aluminum foil for baking the bacon.
2. Count the number of bacon strips in the package (should be around 15-20) and take out that many peppers from the bag. Cut the tops off of the peppers and scoop out any seeds from the inside.
3. Fill the peppers with cream cheese, making sure not to over-stuff them in case some of the cheese comes out while grilling. We used the onion and chive cream cheese and the vegetable garden cream cheese. Both were great, but the preferred was definitely the garden vegetable cream cheese.
4. Lay out the strips of bacon on the foil-lined pans and bake for 5 minutes. Flip the bacon strips over and bake for an additional 5 minutes. The bacon should still be semi-raw and limp, but have started the cooking process.
5. Remove bacon from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes until they are at a temperature where you can touch them. Blot off some of the excess bacon grease by squeezing strips between paper towels (helps them not slip so much off of the peppers). Wrap 1 strip of bacon around 1 pepper. (We found this to be the perfect ratio.)
6. Place bacon-wrapped stuffed peppers onto skewers to go on the grill. This helps keep the bacon wrapped around the pepper. Leave a small space between each pepper on the skewer so the bacon on the inside of the peppers can cook, too.
7. Place pepper skewers on the grill. Allow peppers to cook until the bacon is done, flipping the skewers over every few minutes. We let ours cook for about 15 minutes.
8. Coat both sides of the bacon-wrapped peppers in BBQ sauce and allow to cook for an additional 5 minutes total, flipping skewers half way through.
9. Remove skewers from grill and serve as an appetizer or as a main course with a side of rice or quinoa (what we used, pictured below).
If you enjoy Inklings, please take a second to just click the banner below. Each click = 1 vote, and you can vote once per 24 hours. I do happy dances when people vote!