If this is your first time venturing to The Inklings of Life, then you've come at a great time. Hell, about 6 months ago was a great time to be here, too. I was winning awards, on the track to being a pretty popular mommy blog. Then life threw a curveball. It's still my goal though, promise you that. But head through the archives, check out the Readers Favorite Posts; you'll see that this was a pretty crazy place to hang out- and once will be again. =)
Amidst all this chaos, establishing a routine and creating some normalcy around here has been my top priority. I have a 45 minute (one way) commute to work everyday, which has given me tons of time to think, and the question popped into my head recently of 'What the hell is normalcy?' I mean, look at the word itself- it even looks abnormal. I've spell checked it a dozen times already- an 'l' then a 'c'? I thought maybe for a second I had made the word up, and my spell check was just laughing at me for entering in a word that doesn't exist. But it does. 'Being within certain limits that define a normal range of functioning.'
Hold up. I was taught in the first grade not to use the word itself in the definition... Oh how times have changed, I guess.....
We all went from a house with a working dad, a stay at home mom, well rounded meals cooked each night, clean house, laundry done, homework done, etc. to a house with no dad, a mom working 38 hours a week plus 7.5 hours driving, a Z who is learning the ropes of cooking, a not filthy house, laundry might be a little damp cause the dryer sucks, and yes, homework is done each night. And it's been like this for 2 months now.
Is that enough time for 'normalcy' to kick in? Or am I just an impatient mom? Or..... GASP! No, the thought is too horrendous.....
Could this be our 'normalcy'??
I mean, we still haven't defined it without using the word 'normal' have we? So, could this be it? The next few years filled with (and yes, these are actual things that have occurred in our house in the last 2 months)...
- 'Z, you can't just serve chicken sandwiches. Add some mac and cheese, green beans, something, please.' 'But they had lettuce on them.....'
- 'I want dessert.' 'Son, you didn't eat your dinner.' 'I didn't know we even had dinner.' 'Yeah, I know. I told you 4 times to get off the video games, and you ignored me, so we ate without you, as a lesson learned....'
- 'Sweetheart, why isn't Mommy's Supernatural taping? It's my favorite TV show, some of the only relaxed enjoyment I get in my week.' 'Ooohh. Yeah, the timer came on for that, but I wanted to keep watching Zoey 101, so I hit 'ignore' on it....'
- 'Will you STOP trying to sit on the top of the sofa, please?' 'But the CAT can do it, why can't I?'
- 'We have a leak under the kitchen sink and a leak in the Florida room when it rains. What do you want to do about them?' 'Put buckets under them...'
- (from my 9 year old daughter as I'm putting her to bed one night) 'Why are you all dressed up?' 'Cause Mommy's going out for a little while. Z will be here with y'all.' 'How come you get to go out and have fun?' 'Because Mommy is 30 years old and works 40 hours a week. I only go out like once every 2 weeks, honey.' 'But I go to school as my job, so why can't I go out at night and have fun?' 'Because you're 9....'
- 'What's for dinner tonight?' 'I don't know, pizza rolls?' 'At least serve some applesauce with them, please, so I don't feel like a complete failure as a mother...'
Yes, yes, this is our life right now. Still learning the ropes, waiting on consecutive normal paychecks so we don't have to live week to week anymore. Trying to figure out how to get a routine going.
And keeping Supernatural on lock so hitting 'ignore' doesn't stop it from taping. Seriously, the Winchester brothers are the only steady men I have in my life each week....